The Fossil-free Energy Districts project, FED – a unique local digital marketplace for electricity, heating and cooling at Johanneberg Science Park.
FED is an innovative effort to decrease the use of energy and the dependence on fossil fuel in a built environment. The area is outside the energy distribution concession, which will provide the opportunity for testing and evaluating a local energy market. The digital trading platform will maximise the use of low quality energy to replace primary energy. It will be possible to buy and sell energy between the houses – one building’s energy will be possible to use as surplus in another.
Creating a digital service market in this way means that we do not need to lay cables in the ground. The market players with their local production of electricity, heating and cooling connects up to central energy distribution systems. All players will be connected to the electricity mains which can detect the need to sell and buy electricity from the energy stores at local properties. It will be digitally possible to advertise the need to buy electricity at hourly level and to be able to sell it at second level.
Nine strong partners are running the project: The City of Gothenburg, Johanneberg Sciene Park, Göteborg Energi, Business Region Göteborg, Ericsson, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden, Akademiska Hus, Chalmersfastigheter and Chalmers University of Technology.
FED is co-financed by the European Regional and Development Fund through the Urban Innovative Actions Initiative (UIA), an initiative of the European Commission for cities to test new solutions for urban challenges.
Key Learning Points
* You will get an overview of how an area of housing and business can create a market for electricity, cooling and heating.
* You will get an overview of technologies that reduce one-quarter fossil independence.
* The goal is to create an efficient energy system with 100% renewable electricity production.
Positive effects on the environment and economy
* FED will probably reduce carbon dioxide emissions with 15%.
* 30 buildings will be connected to the marketplace.
* The digital system will perform reconciliation once an hour.
Length of the FED study visit
* 1, 5 to 2 hours.
* Introduction and presentation of Johanneberg Science Park and the FED Project.
* Demonstration of the 3 D-model of FED.
* Guided tour to see and learn more about the FED-project. Please observe, includes outdoor walking – clothes after weather!